Friday, May 30, 2008

The Last Dance

Today is my last day of work at Fort Bragg. It is hard to believe my time at Bragg is coming to a close (at least for now). April 2005 seems like a decade ago. I look back at 2LT Miller when he reported into work on his first day and it's shocking how much I have changed in these three years. Three years, three jobs, three platoon sergeants, three first sergeants, three company commanders, three battalion commanders, thirteen lost friends. The cold of Ft Bragg, the filth of New Orleans, the sweltering heat of JRTC, and the 15 months of Iraq.

Thank you Stephen for being the commander we needed. Thank you for mentoring me, trusting me, and leading Bravo Troop through the worst of times. We could not have had a better commander.

Thank you 1SGs Clemens and Metheny for holding me accountable as an officer and Paratrooper. Thank you to my platoon sergeants for turning me into a worthwhile platoon leader. Thank you to the men of Bravo Troop for the privilege of fighting beside you, especially the men of 2nd platoon. Thank you to the nine who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you John for being the best friend I have ever had. Your strength, kindness, and faith have changed me more than anything else over the last three years. I don't open up to many people, but I couldn't help but open up to you. You were an amazing man, husband, leader, and friend. Your memory will forever be a source of inspiration and humility. You are my brother and I will never forget you.

Thank you Jesse for being an awesome friend, roommate, and FSO. The artillery and fire support you brought to the fight kept us alive when we were outnumbered and surrounded (which we often were). You kept me sane when a lot of our friends fell. Good luck in Iraq. Don't worry, you'll get a few boxes from me.

Thank you Bana for being my strength and hope. Your love has made me the man I am today. No man can claim to have a more exceptional wife. You didn't know what you were getting yourself into when you kissed me ten years ago. I do not deserve you. Thank you for supporting me during the dark times. Thank you for supporting the other families. Thank you for being my partner in life. Three years without separation seems like a dream too good to be true.

OK. This chapter in my life is coming to a close. I think it's time for another tattoo.